At Scotty’s Little Soldiers we are committed to protecting the personal information of all visitors to our web site.
The support provided to bereaved British Forces children and young people by Scotty’s Little Soldiers is funded by you, the great British public. We recognise our responsibility to keep any personal information you share with us safe and secure.
What is your personal data and how does the law protect it?
Your personal data is information which relates to you as an individual. This could be identifiers such as your name, address, or phone number. It could be Special Category Information like media records or criminal activity history. It could also be Non-personal Information like the unique IP address of your device.
The Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR legally requires Scotty’s Little Soldiers as a data controller of your information to:
- process your data in a lawful, fair and transparent way;
- only collect your data for explicit and legitimate purposes;
- only collect data that is relevant, and limited to the purpose(s) we have told you about;
- ensure that your data is accurate and up to date;
- ensure that your data is only kept as long as necessary for the purpose(s) we have told you about;
- ensure that appropriate security measures are used to protect your data.
What information might Scotty’s have about you?
We might collect information from you if you:
- Make a purchase from our store
- Register for an event
- Make an enquiry about our services
- Make a donation
- Become a Scotty Member or Springboarder (a beneficiary of the charity)
- Join one of our mailing lists
- Contact us through our website, social media or other channels
- Apply for a job or to volunteer with us
The type of information we collect may include but is not limited to:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your postal address
- Your phone number
- Your card/bank details
How Scotty’s might use this information:
We will only use this personal information in the way that you intended us to do so. For example this may include:
- Dealing with your registration or enquiry
- Providing you with updates on our work and services
- To process your purchase or donation
- Responding to your comments, feedback or questions
- Maintain our organisational records
- Providing information to the authorities or a professional body if required by law.
We will not share or sell your details to third-parties, other than those who are providing a service to the charity, for example our online store partner Shopify, fundraising partner JustGiving, or donation processor Stripe.
If you are subscribed to our email mailing lists we will only email you for as long as you continue to consent. You can easily opt out of communications at any time.
What rights do you have under Data Protection Law?
Under Data Protection Law you have the following rights:
- Your right to access – you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification – you have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure – you have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing – you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing – you have the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability – you have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave to us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
If you make a request to us, we have one month to respond to you. Please contact us at [email protected], or at FAO DPO, Scotty’s Little Soldiers, Unit 21 Bergen Way, King’s Lynn Norfolk PE30 2JG
The lawful basis on which we process your data:
- Processing shall be lawful only if and to the extent that at least one of the following applies: The data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes;
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract;
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject;
- Processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person;
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller;
- Processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal data, in particular where the data subject is a child.
How long we’ll keep your personal information for:
We will securely retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, and to fulfil any legal obligations. For example, if you cease to be a Member of the charity we will immediately archive your personal information significantly reducing any access to it, and the fully delete it 10 years after your membership ends.
How we keep your information safe and secure:
We are a technology-first charity and do not retain any hard copies of personal data. Data we collect is stored using protected software provided by organisations like Microsoft and Salesforce.
Website & social media third party privacy statements
This statement relates to information obtained through direct contact with Scotty’s Little Soldiers. If you click through to a third-party site via our website, then please also refer to their privacy statement for more information.